Book Review: Amish Christmas at North Star


When I saw the release of Amish Christmas at North Star, I knew it would be a book I wanted to read. The book is comprised of four Amish novellas by authors Cindy Woodsmall, Mindy Starns Clark, Emily Clark, Amanda Flower, and Katie Ganshert. The book opens with the story of events that took place on November 30, 1990. On that evening, an Amish midwife delivered four babies in North Star, Pennsylvania. The babies were named "Rebekah's Babies" when the story appeared in local media. The novellas are Christmas stories that tell what happened to the babies: Elle, Eden, Kore, and Andy.

I think novellas are always very nice to read. They are typically short, easy, pleasant reads. This book was no exception. Each story was a lovely, cozy tale for the Christmas season. The only thing I disliked about the book was that many of the stories ended a bit quickly or abruptly. I think that is a potential drawback of novellas in general because they are so short. It's hard to fully develop a plot or characters. I did like how the book contained an epilogue (set one year later) that helps to extend the stories and tie up some loose ends. These stories include a bit of mystery, plus lots of what you would expect from Amish fiction - family, traditions, and food. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Amish fiction and/or any of the authors that are part of this collection.

 I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love books about the Amish lifestyle. Someday's I yearn for a simpler life. But then, their lives are not always so simple, are they.
Debbi