Book Review: Answering Your Kids' Toughest Questions

I received the book Answering Your Kids' Toughest Questions: Helping Them Understand Loss, Sin, Tragedies, and Other Hard Topics by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson quite awhile ago. I asked to review this book because I have a 6 year old that asks really tough questions - and I know they will only get harder! I haven't read this entire book cover to cover, but intend to use it as a resource for ideas when needed. I'd like to give an overview of the content of the book even though I have not completely read it yet.

The first thing I noticed as I flipped through this book is that the content is based on the Bible. There are many, many passages of Scripture quoted throughout the text. The book addresses a range of topics including: sin, death, natural disasters, war, and more. Kids hear about these topics at school and on the news, so I know I need to be ready and have ideas on how to answer these questions as they arise. The second thing I really like about this book is the way that the answers about the different topics are broken down by age. There are suggested responses for preschool children, children ages 5-10, and children 11 and older. The book also emphasizes that we need to give the type and level of information that our individual children are ready to hear. We know them best, so we can tailor the content we deliver to them.

The book seems to be a great resource for addressing difficult topics with our children from a Biblical perspective.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for this review. All opinioons are my own.

Comments

Unknown said…
I'll have to check out this book. I've read other books similar to this but they weren't written for different age groups. Thanks for the review.
Debbi
-YankeeBurrow