Springing Ahead: a Spring Wreath How-To


Well, we are officially on Daylight Savings Time now - so we lost an hour of sleep last night! It doesn't feel too much like spring right now, but at least the snow isn't staying around too long anymore.

I decided to go by the calendar and believe that spring is indeed around the corner and make a spring wreath. Since Easter is so late this year, it feels too soon to put up my Easter egg wreath, so I put together a pretty floral one instead.

I saw some beautiful silk ranunculus wedding centerpieces in Crafts 'n Things this month and decided the idea would be easily adapted to a wreath. If you'd like to make one yourself, it's super simple - took only about a half hour to put this one together.

I purchased a 10" diameter Styrofoam wreath and 5 big bunches of silk ranunculus. The large flowers in the bunches were approximately 1 1/2" in diameter. There were also small flowers that I used to fill in the gaps. This wreath used about 45 large flowers and over 50 of the small ones. I could have used a few more small ones, also. I also purchased some ribbon to make a hanger for the wreath. Total cost was about $20. (More than I expected, but still pretty good, I think.)

My mom helped me make the wreath and using wire cutters, cut the stems of the flowers about 2" long. I put the large flowers into the Styrofoam around the front, top, and inside of the wreath, then filled in the gaps with the smaller ones. When I was finished, I tied the ribbon on the top to make a tie and voila! all done!!
How do you decorate for spring? Any fun projects or tutorials you can share with me?

I'm linking up to:


Comments

Absolutely beautiful wreath!
Anonymous said…
It's so beautiful! I love the colors!

I made a wreath for our apartment door too. I used vine...with a coupon, so it was around $2.50, five bunches of flowers on sale for $.99 each (reg. $1.99), and a spool of ribbon with wire also on sale, $2.50. So it was around $10 total. You can see my finished product here.
http://amkreations.blogspot.com/2011/03/quilted-bag-door-decor.html

Happy, Hoppy Spring! =)
Unknown said…
So beautiful!! I'd love for you to link up to Wow Me Wednesday!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/03/wow-me-wednesday.html
Amanda said…
This is beautiful! I love it- especially since you can use it year after year!
Liz said…
Beautiful. I think it will brighten your day every time you look at it.
Abby said…
The wreath looks wonderful! I wish I was crafty! This looks like it might be something I coudl do :) Thanks for visiting my blog! I am glad you liked the granola bars!
This is absolutely stunning!
Susan said…
This is so pretty, and I love that it's all one kind of flower. I get overwhelmed when there's a bunch of different flowers! LOL This looks fairly easy to do, too. I made a coffee filter wreath last winter, and it was similar to this - just filling in the spaces. Great idea!